Good evening everyone!
I have run a crossed something that I think is very interesting and possibly a little hokey all at the same time. I know it feels weird to me because it is a new idea, so I thought I would post something to see how the rest of our community feels.
The subject is Webinars... But more specifically on-line, face to face classes using the internet as a vehicle to teach Wiccan “101” classes, techniques in ritual practice, Magick/Spell work, Tool creation/care, and much more.
I did some research and found out that there are many pros to this new method of teaching. However, I could not find many cons. Perhaps you can help me create a better debate?
Here are some of the pros I found:
- No travel time, which means gas is not wasted, there is no worry about getting lost, or spending any un-necessary money on a hotel, etc. In theory, we are helping to save the panet from deadly Green House gases…
- You experience the Webinar right in you own home. In some cases you can be naked and no one will ever know!
- There is usually no serious commitment. Many places offer classes on an as needed basis. If you don’t like the class or the instructor you don’t have to explain to anyone your reasons. You simply don’t have to purchase another Webinar from that company or person.
- Less paper is used since all the class materials are usually electronic. Yeah! Saving trees!
- Many teachers offering Wicca/Pagan Webinars, don’t require you to become a member of their specific path or coven. They are offering their knowledge as a way to support their path, and offer info the others in a non-threatening manor. Some have made this their business and others use the educational workshops as a way to raise money for worthy causes.
- You don’t have to worry about meeting people you really didn’t want to meet. I agree socialization is necessary, BUT sometimes it is so intimidating to people and it prevents them from seeking out the information the desperately need.
The Cons I found are as follows:
- One cannot fully enjoy the content of the Webinar when he/she has a bad internet connection.
- Some people have chaotic households and cannot find a time to spend on the PC uninterrupted. By leaving the house and going to another place, this problem is resolved.
- Webinars are somewhat impersonal. Sure, you can interact with the instructor before, during, and after the session but some people just simply prefer the physical presence of another.
What are your thoughts?
If you wanted to learn about a subject would you try one of these Webinars?
I have talked to others who simply love Webinars! I think I would try it, especially if I could do it form my own home! It seems like a very simple way to continue our path of learning and growing.