PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

There are gods of farming and of hunting, but what about foraging?

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It seems there would've been some of those before hunting and farming. Could be that foraging deities became the latter.
Of forging or foraging?

First , a belated happy birthday , blackfire is hungry...

Second , in answer to your question...

Forest spirits , and ancestral spirits were honored for foraging...

Here is a quick link , regarding Caami...

https://books.google.com/books?id=OlZG-fR0Em8C&pg=PA119&lpg...

Further , I would consider the "Green Man" , "Forest Faery" , "Greensleeves" ,

all to fit that category , as well others I am not presently thinking of...

Perhaps Frey ?

Thanks, Shawn Blackwolf. And thanks for the link; it would appear there are some, after all.

Lol I misread it the first time. Nymphs of the forest and maybe Persephone since she is the goddess of spring she was known for picking flowers

@Barry J King and @Psyche: Yeah, it's "foraging" and not "forging." I think it's pretty funny that people are reading "forging" since my real last name relates to metal-working.
At least, I hope that's the kind of forging people are reading.

What can ya do...except to forge on in your foraging!!! LOL

Gods of the wilderness and wild-spaces, such as: Cernunnos, Danu, Freyr, Freya, Nertha.

Perhaps Artemis? as far as foraging being "hunting" for vegetation.
http://www.goddess.ws/artemis.html

Katy Perry springs to mind.

Oh sure, she appears to be a mortal female and has some fame for warbling out a tune or three - but I suspect she's a foraging god incognito.

Though he's a spirit rather than a god, how about the green man ?

An interesting question, and a super topic! Thanks for starting it Blackfire! Hmmm, as others have mentioned; The Greenman springs to mind primarily. I don’t forage as much as I used to, but when I do, I like to leave “offerings.” They are small offerings to my personal Gods / Goddesss(es), the Ancestors, and to the local forest spirits…one mustn’t forget anyone. LOL. It need not be a grand, formal ritual, although you may wish to do so, just do what feels “right” to you.

Foraging is a wonderful way to spend a day. My Grandmother used to hunt for mushrooms, and as a boy my family did a good deal of berry picking, but that was back when there were more wild places to pick them around here. As I grew older I learned a good deal on wilderness survival, and foraging skills, plus I began to gather various herbs for incense, spells, and so on. I follow an eclectic Druid path, and I’ve always tried to maintain a good rapport with all of the local spirits, especially those of the trees and various flora. One sees the forest in a whole new light when you exercise respect for all living things. I do follow a few rules; I always ask a plant permission before I proceed, and I never strip a plant clean, leaving it to die. Show respect and indeed even reverence…they are living things.

These days I mainly forage for dandelion blossoms…to make wine! I take a bottle of the previous year’s batch to offer, and to quench my own thirst! It makes a tedious task much more pleasant!

Happy Foraging!!! Michael

RSS

© 2017 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service