PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

All Beliefs are Welcome Here!

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-soldier-who-worships-norse-god-th... 

Didn't know beard wearing was a requirement?  

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Guy is reportedly in the military police.  He won't have a problem with a chem mask.

Don't know what to tell you, Spooky.

When were you last in the military?  On the comment board for the article, where I originally read it - which I can no longer find for some reason - other soldiers were chiming in, saying in the field, special ops guys are allowed to wear beards and modern chem masks are more adjustable these days.

They are pretty adjustable, it's kind of more of a discipline thing. Some spec op officers have things against them too.

Just curious what his religious reasons are for having it, and if any other Heathens agree?

The last Heathen group I was a part of took the official stance of that if facial hair is more important than keeping wealth in your household then you are a dick.

The Army has allowed beards for religious and/or medical reasons. Some people can't shave because they get ingrown hair, hence the medical reason. Personally, I would be more worried about a compromised fit on the face for my gas mask than any religious desire.

Personally, I would be more worried about a compromised fit on the face for my gas mask than any religious desire

Reminds me of that quote from the movie Jarhead where the character Swoff is complaining his dogtags did not say "no preference" in the religion category.  His friend says "At least they got the blood type right.  You want the wrong blood or the wrong prayers?"

I don't honestly think the gods, even Thor, would care if you have a beard or not.  Just sayin'.  LOL

Yeah I could argue that it does matter as a major difference between men and women was the beards and lack there of. An example of this could be found in the Norse legends where Odin and other Gods would refer to certain warriors as, "Mares" or wimps for their femininity.  Having a beard is a masculine feature on men. This dates back to the time that Loki became a female and a horse and gave birth a mare named Sliepnier. Loki stayed in female form for the duration of the pregnancy sacrificing his beard to be in a more sensitive female form.

I've come to blows with many Asatru, but beards were never a huge topic. Hair cutting is just part of style or going to war, as I understand it. I would expect a follower of Thor to be more inclined to the practical aspects of battle, but that's one man's opinion. 

RSS

© 2018 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service