I have no idea on the science on this topic, this is just an observation from me. I think part of it is the vast eclecticism in the occult and also the encouragement to branch out. Do not take this as criticism in any shape or form. Just an observance by me.

I notice that many modern pagans and practicing occultists such as myself, have switched paths/systems or religions, or are involved in such things. In some cases it is a natural progression. I have seen someone go from Wicca to Vodun, someone use various occult systems of magick, someone go from being Wiccan and in a coven, to be a magical practitioner of Christianity, [powwow] and a few going from pagan reconstructions to a more modern approach that does not involve reviving the past, sometimes with their own upg added that has no historical basis.

For myself I tried different styles of philosophy; Buddhism and Satanism. Tried the Celt thing, Wicca and witchcraft, which I am still into, and the Aztec thing for along time, which backfired exponentially. If I had never been Aztec, I would have gradually gone from Goddess movement oriented witchcraft to Shaktism, which is really not that different. Been worshiping Kali before all that, since 2007, when I was getting into Shaktism/Hinduism. Maintained a Hindu cosmology and outlook even during Aztec days. SO, progressing to Hinduism is not a big deal to me or a foreign conversion. [I came from Christianity, but I will discard it because it was a family thing and came from there. "Raised" Christian, not chosen Christian.]

I find this curious that those in paganism/occult seem to do this the most often. Even Gerald Gardner was a member of a few different organizations in his day, that is not even including Crowley's eclectism. Then I have to say "What gives?". I cannot even answer this myself. I know only that with the Aztec religion, I tried fitting into something I could never fit into. It made me unhappy, so I left it. With my witchcraft I have always been eclectic.

Note: I am not saying that there are not people who stick to one system of magick or one religion. But I find many modern paganism encourages adherents to learn outside systems and religions, which helps their own system. They may even encourage others to make their own system/religion or religious branch.  I just notice pagans and occultists tend to switch or have more than one of the styles/systems/philosophies/religions than any other group, and I wonder what for....?

Views: 417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're probably right. I have a tendency to throw everything into a pot and stir it up. What floats works, what sinks I ignore till later--you never know when it will come back to the surface again.

I think most people are looking for what "clicks", but not everything in any particular system is going to click unless you are completely immersed in that system's originating culture. There's a dissonance or dysphoria that builds up as the parts of a system that don't click become more apparent over time. The more you learn about a system, the more you find where it doesn't fit you.

As an example: I find Runes very useful and work with them, but if I go too deep into Heathenry Metaphysics something slips a cog in my head, and I can't use it. I end up having to do translations and transliterations into a form I can use. Most people that run into this kind of trouble just drop it and move on.

I stand on a tall building and look at the ALL and try to picture the surroundings in

its totality. Music for example, One does not listen to One instrument.  

I just notice pagans and occultists tend to switch or have more than one of the styles/systems/philosophies/religions than any other group, and I wonder what for....?

Normal human behavior.  Lack of threats from their pantheon gods if they choose to find another deity to follow.  Normal polytheistic behavior.

Recalls those letters of Pliny the Younger to Trajan relating how, when he interviewed accused Christians, they told him that they had been Christians but weren't any longer.  IOW, they tried a new religion and when it turned out to not be to their liking for whatever reason, they just moved on.

I have seen someone go from Wicca to Vodun, someone use various occult systems of magick, someone go from being Wiccan and in a coven, to be a magical practitioner of Christianity, [powwow]

Do you still keep in touch with Matt and Alan?

Matt the Vodun guy? Yeah. Idk about Alan. What was his screen name?

As far as I remember or know it was always Alan Chapman.He was the Powwow.

Oh you mean Rob Chapman. Yeah I talk to him on fb. He got married. His new name is Rob Phoenix. He wrote a book on powwow and was featured in a documentary. He sent it to me like last year. He's doing real good.

Ah sorry I mixed two members up.But yeah that's good to hear I'm happy for him.

The science of it? 

You can't decide because you are looking for something you're just not finding in this mix and match so-called spirituality.  If you can pin the tail on the donkey, maybe then you will stand for something. Until then, no one is buying it.

Lilitu Wind...........100% nail head hit by hammer's head, and hard hit at that. I have seen and been Blessed to know numerous on a Familial Walk, and they indeed Hold Great Power and Knowledge, and that means Not that others should, or even could Walk similar Walks, but Only because they are Not mean to do so. My belief is They are Meant to Discover other far Reaching.........................philosophy's and Giftings?

In my view, the ones who Walk Familial Strengths and Gifts are no more Powerful than the one who Walks Within other.............Work Paths/ They, many times are so Set, they Forget they are not ultimate. I have not met a Familial Walker due to this, and I hope not to since that normally means a weak battle. I, also have Not been forced into War with others of the Familial Walkers. They have all been understanding and mostly normally quality folk once they allow outsiders in, same as normal people allow or disallow for their own causes. As most Within Any Path Walk, they have the Demand to silence, until.

I'v been Blessed to study Hard, and to experience a lot of Ugly and Great both, and many levels of the Balanced in-betweens. I am not shamed into any cause to apologize to any for that fact....Neither should anyone else be!

May your post here help one or more, Lilitu Wind.

AHO

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service