PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

All Beliefs are Welcome Here!

Work is to start on a giant sculpture of a naked woman which is to be carved into the Northumberland landscape.

The "Goddess of the North" will be made from 1.5 million tonnes of earth from the Shotton mine, near Cramlington after 5 million tonnes of coal has been extracted from the site.

It will stand 34 metres - 10 metres higher than the Angel of the North - and will be 400 metres long.

The sculpture, also knows as Northumberlandia, will form the centrepiece of a 29 hectare public park on the Blagdon Estate with completion expected in 2013. What are your feelings on regenerating areas that have been pillaged or destroyed with monuments made from slag heaps? 

Views: 69

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

ditto
I can't wait to see some pictures of the site once they start work on it!
I think that's pretty cool. I think it'll look super once it's finished.
I have mixed feelings about this also...the damage caused and the effects on the land and surrounding habitat initially, far outweights the lovely sculpture left as a legacy to what was once a beautiful landscape. Having said this, I agree with you Freya, if there is going to be any recompense then it might as well be something more visually pleasing than a gaping hole. Blessings!
I like the concept, but slag heaps have a pretty bad history here in Oklahoma. Places have been poisoned as a result of minerals (especially lead) from slag/chat piles leaching into the ground water as well as being airborne and then absorbed into the blood. Pitcher, OK is one example. Not sure if this would be a cause for concern in Northumberland or with coal. But I really do like the idea that some type of restoration is being planned.

RSS

© 2018 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service