PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

All Beliefs are Welcome Here!

In the 19th century, when the Anglicans were more concerned with efforts to reunite various denominations of Christianity rather than with ripping its own self to shreds over issues about who marries whom, and who sleeps with whom; they came up with a handy little document called "The Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral."

"The Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral, frequently referred to as the Lambeth Quadrilateral or the Lambeth-Chicago Quadrilateral, is a four-point articulation of Anglican identity, often cited as encapsulating the fundamentals of the Communion's doctrine and as a reference-point for ecumenical discussion with other Christian denominations. The four points are:

The Holy Scriptures, as containing all things necessary to salvation;

The Creeds (specifically, the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds), as the sufficient statement of Christian faith;

The Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion;

The historic episcopate, locally adapted.

The Quadrilateral had its genesis in an 1870 essay by an American Episcopal priest, William Reed Huntington. Huntington's purpose in proposing these four elements was to establish 'a basis on which approach may be by God's blessing, made toward Home Reunion,' that is, with the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches." - Wikipedia

The question for discussion is this: are there any essential or basic tenets which may have also been reduced to a brief list like this by which you would recognize your tradition? With all the debate here about what is Pagan and what is Wiccan and who is in and who is out, it has given me pause to wonder how one would know. What say you?

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes I'm glad I don't have a specific tradition.
Dow What thou Wilt, Nature over Man, Man over Beast that dwells within.

Other than that it's pretty much freeform.
The Restoration of the Horned One, Cernunnos to his proper place in pagan society
The Understanding that every man is a priest of Cernunnos
The Belief that the solitary eclectic path is evey bit as valid as those who choose to be part of a coven following the older traditions.
The Elevation of hunting from sport to sacred act
Oh, a couple of things I forgot:

Protection of wild areas and animals
Protcetion of hunting rights and gun rights

and to borrow from Chenoa:

Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Simplify.
I say I have no one tradition. I'm eclectic and what ever works for me works for me.
That is exactly how I think of my tradition, I just never knew how to word it.
So far many of these responses remind me of a quote by Wil Rogers: "I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." (Still true today, BTW.) This should in no way be construed as a criticism of you, though, so please do not take offense. It makes me curious to ask as a follow up question: Do those who are eclectic or solitary disown the concept of a tradition because you are such, or did you chose to become eclectic or solitary because you did not want to adhere or subscribe to any tradition? Sort of a "chicken or the egg" kind of question.
I am a solitary eclectic because my beliefs do not mesh with those of established traditions. I do not "disown the concept of a tradition." I feel they have a very important place in pagan society. If I could have found a tradition that fits my own personal beliefs, I would be a member of that faith right now. I am solitary for the same reason that I do not follow a tradition. Creating your own faith sort of precludes you from being part of a coven or tribe. That is unless and until you can create your own coven or tribe of similar minded people.
EXACTLY!!! Herne, you have my point perfectly!! If you had found such a tradition, or were going to create your own coven/tribe, the idea would be one of recognition and group self-identification. Since you have been able to articulate the key elements of what you believe, I think you could and should be successful at both when or if the proper moment arises. Also, it helps to identify groups of which you are not a part.
I would add that merely because our Tradition has no solitary clergy does not mean we view solitary clergy askance. It merely reflects our Tradition's belief that humanity must relearn how to live harmoniously in community, and that community should have a strong spiritual aspect that permeates everything one does, all day every day. For most people, this means radically redefining many everyday assumptions and ways of looking at reality, not only as compared with mainstream but also with Neopagan societies and cultures. For us, community is the source of our ability to survive and thrive. It is something we are oath-bound to nurture, regardless of what may be happening in our personal lives, and we receive back from the community only what we demonstrably invest in it, etc.
Hi Herne, You voiced many of my beliefs there quite eloquently, thank you.
You're welcome! Glad I could be of service! :D

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service