PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

All Beliefs are Welcome Here!

Hula hoops photo: HoopBunny Hoops 1 Hoops1.jpgHula hoops photo: value hoops valuehoops72.jpg

Merry Meet and welcome. I have been hooping for almost 6 years now. I couldn't hoop as a kid and didn't ever think much about it. I happened to be at an earth day festival in 2011 and a lady there was having a hula hoop class, she asked us if we would like to join. We laughed and said no thank you we couldn't hoop as kids and there was no way we could do it now. She laughed and said yes you can let me teach you. So for fun we joined. She hooked me up with a 42 inch 3/4 inch tubing hoop 125 PSI. I took to it like a duck to water, I couldn't believe I was hooping at the age of 47. I was hooked and never looked back. I now have 9 hoops of my own including hand hoops. Now I also make my own hoops for myself and my friends. It is wonderful exercise from your head to your toe's and  a wonderful way to express yourself. My friend and I are working to make a hooping community in our area. I wanted to reach out across the globe and connect with other's who hoop or have ever wanted to hoop. To share video's and story's. Hooping is not just for kids and skinny girls anymore. it doesn't mater your age or size. Im proof of that! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and sharing what I have learned as well as learning from others. Cant wait to meet you! Blessed be!

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How fun! And what a great form of exercise! I can't wait to see all the videos. I wonder how many pagan hoopers we have here on PaganSpace? There's gotta be a few.

Luna if hiu were going to teach someone to hoop, what would be the first thing they would need to know?

Hey Amethyst Im so glad you came to look at my discussion :) I think Sin hoops, seems like I saw one of her videos way back. And one other Jujubes like my discussion other than that no one comment or added anything I was so bummed out!!!!! I thought I would get a really good discussion going in here??? But Im glad you came and thank you :)

It's a great discussion and really FUN! So many discussions are so serious and doom and gloom yet important, but we do need a break sometimes with something fun.

I
When I was looking for the discussion I searched for "hoop" and I got seversl pictures from someone who apparently was a hooper. Who knew!

I've got more questions than anything because as you know...I have no abilities whatsoever. In anything. Well a couple but none of them creative. Haha!

So what is the first piece of advice you would give to a new hooper? I might head to Dollar Tree and get a hoop to try it out. Neighbors are gonna love this!

Amethyst I feel hooping is fun as well as wonderful exercise and that truly most everyone can do it. I have found a wonderful large group of tutorials called "Curvy Hooper's"  There are so many videos showing it doesn't make a difference how old or young. Or how big or small you are. Hooping is truly for everyone.

My first bit of advice would be to "NOT" get a hoop from stores such as WalMart or Kmart or any dollar store. The hoops are to light weight and to small. 

A hoop needs to be measured for you. Rule of thumb is the bigger and heavier the hoop the easier it is to hoop with. Generally measure the hoop touching the floor it should come above your belly button to your chest. within that range is Ideal. 

I prefer a 160 psi (pressure per square inch) its the heaviest. There is also a 125 psi and a 100 psi. I use black irrigation tubing from Lowes for my hoops. I also found I prefer the connector's from ATTWOODS, as they allow your hoop to meet up flush when connecting them.

The taping process took me about 3 hoops in before I got it down. The duct tape roll should be cut in half. You don't want wrinkle's forming in your taping. The electrical tape is easier to do as its already the right width.

Sadly to say I can not mail my hoops as they don't break down once they are made. I have researched making collapsible hoops but they are polypro hoops and are way to light weight for beginners. However I did make a wonder discovery about the polypro tubing in my research. The polypropylene material was discovered right here in Bartlesville Oklahoma at the Phillips 66 research center, the plastic pellets were left over from another project from the 50,s and the researcher's turned the plastic pellets into tubing. Ill see what I can find on it and post it. 

Phillips Petroleum Co., which is merging with Houston-based Conoco Inc., is best known by consumers for its Phillips 66 gas stations. But Bartlesville, Okla.-based Phillips also prompted one of the greatest consumer crazes in U.S. history -- the Hula Hoop. The famous fad traces its roots to Phillips and the Oklahoma company's decision to branch into plastics after World War II. In 1951, Phillips was focusing its chemical research on finding catalysts to improve the refinery process. Phillips chemists Paul Hogan and Robert Banks were experimenting with catalysts to produce high-performance gasoline additives. A catalyst mixed with the petrochemical propylene caused tubes in their processing equipment to plug up with a whitish, taffy-like substance. Hogan and Banks had discovered a new plastic, dubbed crystalline polypropylene. They couldn't have anticipated where their find would lead. At the time, plastics usually were either too brittle or too easily softened by heat. But newly discovered crystalline polypropylene was tough, heat-resistant and inexpensive to produce. It was the type of plastic resin that chemical companies around the world were scurrying to make to meet surging post-war demand for consumer products. So Phillips management ponied up the then-enormous sum of $50 million for construction of a large-scale polyethylene resins plant. Upcoming Events Power Breakfast - Succession Planning March 22, 2016 Top Residential Real Estate Awards March 24, 2016 Bizwomen Mentoring Monday April 04, 2016 See More Events  At first, it was anything but fun and games. Problems ensued after the first pellets of the Phillips plastic Marlex came off the production line. They were a dingy color and inconsistent in size, making it very difficult to meet specifications put forward by corporate customers. And the Phillips sales people were unable to convince customers that the Bartlesville company really had the miracle plastic it had been touting. "We had a rough time. We had sort of tailor-made the material in the lab, and when it came to mass producing it, we had problems," recalled Thomas Cubbage, former vice president of chemicals at Phillips. "It was tricky. You had to have everything exactly right." While its chemists and engineers tinkered with the manufacturing process, Phillips filled up warehouse after warehouse with unsold, off-specification plastic pellets. Even worse, every order the company had received for its Marlex product was canceled.

product was canceled. Hula Hoop to the rescue. In 1958, Wham-O Manufacturing began production of the Hula Hoop using the Phillips plastic Marlex. Demand for the large plastic rings was so great that Hula Hoop manufacturers couldn't keep up. As massive orders for Marlex plastic poured in, Phillips struggled to satisfy the skyrocketing public demand -- and emptied its Marlex warehouses of a material that it couldn't give away just months earlier. Wham-O sold more than 100 million Hula Hoops in the recreational product's first six months on the market. Even that staggering sum wasn't enough to meet demand for the wildly popular plastic toy, fueling a run on Marlex plastic. Delighted Phillips President Paul Endacott even kept a Hula Hoop in his office for impromptu demonstrations of the miracle plastic in action. By the time the Hula Hoop craze subsided in 1959, Phillips had ironed out kinks in its plastics production process. And Phillips' sales people had lined up new markets for the plastics. Thanks to its discovery of crystalline polypropylene and a related material, Phillips had thrust itself into an entirely new industry, the manufacture of a family of polyolefin plastics. This family of Marlex plastics eventually led Phillips to a plethora of end users. The first market on the heels of the Hula Hoop was baby bottles for hospitals. That industry embraced Marlex as a plastic that's able to withstand high temperatures during sterilization. Also enticed by Marlex, the manufacturer of a then-popular household liquid detergent took a chance on plastic bottles instead of glass. Other household product companies followed suit. After the Hula Hoop took off, tubing and pipe applications of Marlex followed. Flexible plastic tubing was made to hook up air conditioners, aquariums, icemakers and other fluid-using household equipment. Later, Marlex pipe was also used in lawn sprinkler systems and a long list of other applications. The Phillips plastic that put the Hula Hoop on the map transcends the continents. In 1998, China's first Marlex polyethylene plant, Shanghai Golden, came online. Of course, plastics are just one aspect of Phillips. The integrated oil and gas company has built a presence in diverse fields over the past century. After initially suffering disappointing drilling results, wildcatting brothers Frank and L.E. Phillips in 1905 hit the first of 81 consecutive wells without a single dry hole. Twelve years later, they founded Phillips Petroleum in Bartlesville, which is about 50 miles north of Tulsa. And Phillips has amassed a large refining operation to complement its many gas stations. The Phillips headquarters has been in Bartlesville since 1912, but the Oklahoma town's largest employer plans to shift the base to Houston as part of its recently announced agreement to merge with Conoco. Assuming the marriage is finalized, newly formed ConocoPhillips will bring to Houston its pioneering role in plastics that launched one of the most popular toys on the planet.

In the 1950s, few companies knew what to do with a revolutionary plastic invented by Phillips Petroleum. Demand for “Marlex” would come from unexpected source – the Hula Hoop – “the great obsession of 1958 – the undisputed granddaddy of American fads.”

This big Momma is 54 inches Diameter 1inch padded tubing. I made her yesterday and she hoops like the Cadillac of hoops.  

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service