PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

All Beliefs are Welcome Here!

I was looking through my history books and looking up various historical conspiracy theories the other day and realized that there are origins and fates of certain civilizations, people, groups, and practices that are simply unknown or are sketchy at best.  It seems like a mystery about their origins and fate.  

The Lost Roanoke Colony can be said as an example of this.  So, what are some historical topics like what was mentioned that interest you or that you've simply been interested in that fit this mold?

Go ahead and share! 

Views: 885

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two more mysteries intrigue me:

1)  Did they or did they not find two ancient Roman era merchant ships sunk in the bays off South America?  There is a rumor that they were found, but local Spanish governments, keen to keep 1492 as the 'true discovery' date reburied them to prevent exploration.  The rumor has made the pages of several science books but without any substantiation.  It seems logical.  The Romans sailed the eastern Atlantic and northern African coasts and it would have only taken one bad storm before a ship would be caught in the same currents that took Christopher Columbus to the New World.

2)  Did Nero actually persecute Christians after the Great Fire in Rome?  There is only one account of this traditional story.  One.  And it was written by someone who was just a child when the fire occurred.  Scholars agree that during the time of Nero 54-68 ce, the Christian community in Rome was extremely small.  Remember the earliest writings we have of the Christian bible are the letters of Paul.  And he was writing in the mid 1st century at a time when he was just starting his ministry writing to tiny scattered congregations here and there.  So I find it hard to believe that 6 years after Paul's first letters, that Christianity would have grown so large that Nero would consider persecuting them to be making a big public statement.  They weren't even calling themselves Christians until the late 1st century.  One author says it wasn't the Christians who were persecuted by Nero but the Isians, the followers of Isis.  Nero had had a falling out with the religion and the religion was fairly wide-spread, so punishing a 'foreign' religion and its followers for the fire and having plenty of victims seems more logical.  But who knows?      

I once heard that a cache of roman coins had been unearthed in Texas, but there was never any follow up info available..... I'm not sure if it was a hoax or a cover up.

There is some genetic evidence that several of the native American tribes of the east Coast have at least some early European heritage.... especially the Cherokee. Their own mythology of origins suggests an arrival from the East. In addition, many early native tools bear a striking resemblance to those found in Europe from the same period and share few similarities with those found in Asia. This has led some scholars to suggest that there were at least two early human migrations to the Americas, the first from somewhere in the vicinity of the Iberian peninsula and a second larger one from North East Asia. As far as I know there are still many who contest this theory. Most Academics can be very stubborn when traditional views and perceptions are challenged... often with little regard to the actual evidence.

Remember how long it took them to accept that "the hobbit" (Homo floresiensis) was a distinct new species of hominid? And that was in spite of the existence of fairly conclusive skeletal remains and local legends which supported the evidence.

Yeah, curiosity gets to me sometimes.  Like, MazATLAN?  How did the Greeks get hold of tales of ATLAN(tis)? Odd that places like Mazatlan, Atlantic, Atlantis exist on either side of the Atlantic?  How did that seeming root term get around to being on both sides of the ATLANtic? Is there really precedent for the development of the root word Atlan in Asian/European language, or was it adopted from an outside source, like around Mexico or more anciently maybe Central America?  Do these terms come from the same long lost root word?  So, maybe Mazatlan, lol, =downtown Atlantis? :)

Wonder which culture explored the lands of the other first?   Imagine a fleet of Mesoamericans, or Mazatlantians, rowing up to the shores someplace in Europe. "Sure buddy, we'll trade this tobacco for..."
After all, if St. Brendan could do it in a coracle, then Mesoamericans might have done it in largish duggouts if they hopped islands  along the northern route.  They didn't have to take the Gulf Stream which would be ever so much more daunting of a trip.  On the other hand, they might have.  There is evidence that the Polynesians made it to the Americas, why not trade between Europe and Mexico/Central America?  Tobacco has been found to be an ingredient used in the preparation of mummies.  How did that happen?  That's just a few of the things I can't find answers to in the history books.

Yeah, curiosity gets to me sometimes.  Like, MazATLAN?  How did the Greeks get hold of tales of ATLAN(tis)? Odd that places like Atlantis, Atlantic, exist on either side of the Atlantic?  How did that seeming root term get around to being on both sides of the ATLANtic? Is there really precedent for the development of the root word Atlan in Asian/European language, or was it adopted from an outside source, like around Mexico or more anciently maybe Central America?  Do these terms come from the same long lost root word?  So, maybe Mazatlan, lol, =downtown Atlantis? :)

LOL - it can also be MazatLAN.

The Atlantic, Atlantis are based on the same root as the god Atlas.  Remember the princess Atalanta?  The Atlas mountains in Morocco?  The etymology of the god Atlas is probably North African.

Do you know Atlas' genealogy?

Try Hesiod's "Theogeny" for that herenow.

Aw, Fooeyl!

Yep, now that you mention her I do recall that story about the footrace...barely.  The last time I heard it was about (hold on, I just ran out of fingers to count on) as near as I can tell, an even 50 years ago.  I flat forgot about her.

Thanks for the reminder, one less silly idea to play with in my idle moments...maybe. :)

I would love to know what really happened to the passengers and crew of the "Marie Celeste"

I would love to know what really happened to the passengers and crew of the "Marie Celeste"

Good one!

Here are couple more

1) Was the story of Pope Joan true?  I would love it if a woman managed to rise so high without the hierarchy of the RCC finding out.

2) The missing Nanking army.  In 1939, 3000 Chinese soldiers, set in place to try to fight off the advancing Japanese disappeared.  Overnight.  Never found.  No record.    

I never heard of #2, that's so strange. I know the Japanese soldiers succumbed to some diseases, if I am remembering correctly, didn't they release that themselves? Maybe that's what got the Chinese?

#1 I thought was debunked? (BTW you'd like Dragon Age series of games because they took a character based off of Joan of Arc and made it like the Christian-like religion revered her in great status.)

#1 I thought was debunked? (BTW you'd like Dragon Age series of games because they took a character based off of Joan of Arc and made it like the Christian-like religion revered her in great status.)

No clue.  There have been some attempts to, but it was so long ago it could just as easily be covered up.

I never heard of #2, that's so strange. I know the Japanese soldiers succumbed to some diseases, if I am remembering correctly, didn't they release that themselves? Maybe that's what got the Chinese?

Well, supposedly it happened overnight and no bodies were ever found.  The Japanese reported no prisoners taken and the one bridge over the river where they were stationed still had sentries posted and they said they saw nothing, much less 3000 men crossing the bridge.  They could have been bribed by deserting men, but ALL of them deserted?

With most people living by water, this has me wondering ever

since I noticed that the water levels, from south Asia to Australia

are shallow,30 to 80 ft between the islands. and during the last Ice Age

One could walk from Greenland to the Southern tip of Australia.

http://phys.org/news/2013-05-sea-tropical-climate-ice-age.html

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service