PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

I'm working as an English teacher in heavily-Catholic Bavaria, Germany, and I have a few necklaces that have symbols of the Germanic gods on them.  I have Odin riding Sleipnir, Mjolnir, a World Tree that could pass for Yggdrasil or for a tree from another belief system, among others.  I love wearing them and have worn them in the classroom before with no problems from students, even the church-goers.

So here's my dilemma:

One of my students is a Catholic priest and monk.  It's a 1-to-1 class, which means he is the only student in class.  His course is not religion-oriented, but instead is very mundane most of the time.  For example, language on how to address an international group during a meeting, everyday phrases he needs, etc.  He doesn't wear religious garb in class, and has never asked me about my personal beliefs, except to ask me if I'm familiar with a couple of aspects he's mentioned.  But he is a very pious individual. Would it be rude or inappropriate for me to wear my symbols when I teach him?  I don't want to make my students uncomfortable.

Views: 635

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our laws DO deal with criminal offenders on a "case by case" basis.  That's why we have courts and juries.  What you are asking for is segregation legislation.

No, they don't.  There is an across the board law - "no raping" and then if someone BREAKS that, then the situation is handled case by case.

You do NOT have the right to demand that a publicly-funded university accommodate you with gender-separate study areas, race-separate study areas, or any other kind of study areas that might make you "feel safe" from men, brown people, LGBT people, whatever.

Harassment is a crime.  I CAN demand that the university make its facility as safe as it can against criminals.

Yes, Aurelia.  There are across the board laws against raping, murder, and a whole lot of other violations – including harassment.  And if someone breaks a law, then they get arrested and have a trial.  We don't put people in jail or segregate them or deny them equal access to publicly-funded institutions before they've committed a crime. 

Actually we have enough data of women who have experienced harassment so that it has become a statistic.  So that's sufficient to warrant a safe place for women.  

Harassment is a crime.  I CAN demand that the university make its facility as safe as it can against criminals.

Yes, Aurelia.  You can demand that the university make its facility safe, as any university should do for ALL students.  Absolutely.

The university is absolutely free to make a 'women free' room for men.  Though I doubt it will be used.  

You can even try requesting a "No Boyz Aloud Klub Hawse" for you and your feminist friends.

Good job trivializing women who are harassed Nephele.  I see it's never happened to you. I hope it never does so you don't get victimized a second time by idiots who claim it's just about you getting your feelings hurt or wanting a private clubhouse. [eyeroll]

But that doesn't mean that you're entitled to it, or that anyone is obliged to give it to you at their own expense – and especially not at the expense of taxpaying citizens (which include the very people from whom you feel a need to be protected).

If I'm a student at a university, I AM paying for it.

Honestly, if you are really all that fearful of men jumping your bones at every turn, how do you manage to get through a day outside your home?

Considering I've been sexually harassed, followed home by strange men, been subject to men exposing themselves to me, and accosted by would-be rapists, I'd say I know more about how to handle it than you do.

Good job trivializing women who are harassed Nephele.  I see it's never happened to you.

I'm not trivializing women who are harassed.  I'm trivializing the sort of defensive, hyper-sensitive victim-mentality that has (deservedly) earned the new feminism much of its criticism today.

Yeah  you are.  You assumed that's what this situation is.  Why don't you look at the facts before dismissing it as a bunch of "victim mentality feminist" whiners. 

As for my personal life experiences, you really don't know much about me.  Not only do I know very well what it is like to receive excessive, unsolicited attention from certain men, I also know what it is like to be treated with suspicion and distaste for being a member of a particular ethnicity.  I find these two opposing situations kind of funny, really, in a twisted sort of way.

Anyway, I see no point in continuing this discussion with you.  Especially since I have no interest in getting into a "My Oppression Sucks Harder Than Yours" contest with you.  Which is exactly how these feminism debates usually wind up.

Good, so why don't you stop making assumptions about other women's experiences since you don't know them either and dismissing them?  We'll all get along a lot better.

How condescending of you.

I'm American and have heard of "safe spaces," which sound like baloney.

Although I love wearing my symbols, I haven't for a couple of weeks because I think it's time they were cleaned.  So I just happened to not be wearing them when the priest started classes with me.  I think I'm more worried about him believing I'm only wearing it because he's a member of clergy, like I'm doing it to spite him or something.

Well Nephele and Aurelia
Since we are discussing rooms where woman feel harassed, I would like to hear your opinions on Obama's pick a potty policy, since woman need protection via gender exclusion zones to study or workout what is your opinion on sharing locker rooms?

I don't have any problem at all.

I've belonged to health clubs my whole life.

Lesbians have been sharing locker rooms with straight women all these years.  Why would transgender make any difference?

I only ask because I am assuming you both lean left which is rare where I live an work and I am honestly curious for your opinions.

I myself am perfectly comfortable naked in front of people. There were gay men in the service when I was active duty before and during don't ask don't tell. Did not bother me. I was very glad to see the rules change as I saw some good people treated wrong. I can see a naked woman without needing to have sex, gay people are the same.
I've known transgender, no big deal. I've never known anyone who was cis, my opinion is out on that.

That's all beside the point, just trying to get a serious discussion as opposed to some MSNBC "right wing homophobe" horseshit. Given you're earlier conversation regarding safe spaces I'm curious how you feel about the potential for a straight creep to use opposite gender facilities. The only arguement I've ever heard is the creeps have always been around which to me is a weak argument because before the creep could be arrested for crossing the threshhold. How does one support separate gyms, separate study halls and common locker rooms?

As to the question what am I afraid of I am not for myself. Someone wants to watch me pee I'll sell them a video. But I don't want the woman in my life to deal with Aurelia's health club story everytime they gotta pee at Walmart.

I myself am perfectly comfortable naked in front of people. There were gay men in the service when I was active duty before and during don't ask don't tell. Did not bother me. I was very glad to see the rules change as I saw some good people treated wrong. I can see a naked woman without needing to have sex, gay people are the same.
I've known transgender, no big deal. I've never known anyone who was cis, my opinion is out on that.

I'm comfortable being naked in locker rooms.  Comes from doing a lot of fieldwork getting my degree.  After a while, out in the wilderness being modest is just too much of a pain in the ass.  Just strip.  No one cares.

That's all beside the point, just trying to get a serious discussion as opposed to some MSNBC "right wing homophobe" horseshit. Given you're earlier conversation regarding safe spaces I'm curious how you feel about the potential for a straight creep to use opposite gender facilities. The only arguement I've ever heard is the creeps have always been around which to me is a weak argument because before the creep could be arrested for crossing the threshhold. How does one support separate gyms, separate study halls and common locker rooms?

I wasn't aware a man using women's facilities and vice versa was a crime.  If so, I've been breaking the law a lot, as I use the men's room when it wasn't busy when the women's room was busy.  My bad.

As to the question what am I afraid of I am not for myself. Someone wants to watch me pee I'll sell them a video. But I don't want the woman in my life to deal with Aurelia's health club story every time they gotta pee at Walmart.

Honestly, I think it's a mountain out of a molehill.  Men have urinals in their bathrooms.  They seem to think women also expose themselves in women's bathrooms.  We don't.  There are stalls and they have doors that lock.  If some pervert exposes himself outside of the stall, we know he's a pervert and not a true cis person because there is no need to do that.    

No.

Don't worry about it. If it feels good, wear it.

Plain and simple. If he hasn't complained or expressed uncomfort. No problem right?

RSS

© 2017 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service