PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

All Beliefs are Welcome Here!

I'm working as an English teacher in heavily-Catholic Bavaria, Germany, and I have a few necklaces that have symbols of the Germanic gods on them.  I have Odin riding Sleipnir, Mjolnir, a World Tree that could pass for Yggdrasil or for a tree from another belief system, among others.  I love wearing them and have worn them in the classroom before with no problems from students, even the church-goers.

So here's my dilemma:

One of my students is a Catholic priest and monk.  It's a 1-to-1 class, which means he is the only student in class.  His course is not religion-oriented, but instead is very mundane most of the time.  For example, language on how to address an international group during a meeting, everyday phrases he needs, etc.  He doesn't wear religious garb in class, and has never asked me about my personal beliefs, except to ask me if I'm familiar with a couple of aspects he's mentioned.  But he is a very pious individual. Would it be rude or inappropriate for me to wear my symbols when I teach him?  I don't want to make my students uncomfortable.

Views: 706

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It would only be disrespectful if you wore it in his church

It would only be disrespectful if you wore it in his church

Would it be?  Would a Jewish man be forced to remove his yamulka or a Muslim woman her scarf if they were visiting a Christian church?

Okay fair point. However, if I were to wear my pentagram at a christian church, it would be disrespectful. I guess it depends on the significence of the symbol to the person & the religion.

Okay fair point. However, if I were to wear my pentagram at a christian church, it would be disrespectful. I guess it depends on the significence of the symbol to the person & the religion.

How would that be any different though from a Jewish man or Muslim woman scenario?  It's your religion.  Say, you were invited to a Christian Church by family or friends, that doesn't mean you're going to convert or need to hide who you are.

Now granted, some church going folk might react very negatively to your pentacle, but that's their problem isn't it?  It would be no different than a supposedly loving follower of Jesus reacting negatively to the "killers of Christ" Jewish person.

Lets be clear, I have a number of pagan pendants, which while I am pagan, I wear casually and interchangably. Celtic Knot, Ankh, Tree of life, Lotus, Lucky Cat, etc.

I feel to would be disrespectful to wear those in my families church

Lets be clear, I have a number of pagan pendants, which while I am pagan, I wear casually and interchangably. Celtic Knot, Ankh, Tree of life, Lotus, Lucky Cat, etc.

I feel to would be disrespectful to wear those in my families church

Oh, if you're not 'out' then by all means.

But I guarantee you'll get no comments on the Lotus, Lucky Cat, Tree of Life or Celtic knot.  YOU may consider those religious and pagan, but everyone else will just see something decorative.

Maybe wear it and then if anyone says anything tuck it into your shirt.

the only time I would consider such things inappropriate is if you wore them in a place where they were bound to cause antagonism, such as wearing a Baphomet head in church etc.

Its important to be able to have freedom of religious expression but I think you also have to consider  circumstances on an individual basis

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service