PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

Hi everyone! I received the following on a bulletin on Myspace this morning and thought I would share it here:

Hello, My name is Ashley. I work at Hot Topic, store number 286, in Glen Burnie, Maryland. I am writing today to ask for your support in having Hot Topic's policies changed around, especially the one that is currently allowing me, a practicing Pagan, to be singled out.

Hot Topic does not tolerate pentagrams, calling them Satanic. I have been forbidden to wear mine during work hours, having been told Witchcraft is not a religion that Hot Topic recognizes. A manager has decided that she cannot work with me, due to my religious choices, and now is attempting to have me fired.

I have been "written up" and sat down twice, once by her and once by the store manager, because of a conversation involving three other people about drugs, WHILE THE STORE WAS CLOSED, and because I answered the manager's questions about another associate's missed time. No one else was punished for the drug conversation. I work in a store full of practicioners of other beliefs. The manager trying to get me fired is always covered in Christian jewelry and keychains. I am denied any of my own religious wear.

I wrote to the A.C.L.U. last night, and am currently awaiting a response.

During this time, I am asking that everyone repost. I am not the only Pagan being punished. Every time someone wearing a pentagram walks in, the manager trying to get me fired talks badly about them when they leave.

My mother comes in in her jewelry, and I have to wonder, what is said then?

Together, as a community, we can make a difference. Pagans make up 80% of our sales, and if we stop shopping there, they will have to make a change. I am already petitioning to have this change brought about, by calling the A.C.L.U..

Pass this around. Religious persecution was supposed to have died with the witch trials.

Don't let this store, the only place these kids have to go, continue to push us away!

Ashley ( myspace.com/catslitterbox8804 )
Employee at Hot Topic store number 286,
Marley Station Mall
Glen Burnie, Maryland

I'm currently waitng for a response from this individual and may try to organize a protest at as many Hot Topic stores as possible.

Your comments on this matter are welcome! Please feel free to repost on your Myspace page or any other sites you belong to!

Thanks and BB )O(
Phoenix

Views: 870

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no more shopping there for us
Hot Topic provides equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, covered veteran status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.

This is their employment policy.

Contact the EEOC
Hot Topic provides equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, covered veteran status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.

This is their employment policy.

Contact the EEOC
i have no idea what hot topic is? but surely they just cat get away with this. They cannot fire someone because of their religious beliefs. My husband is in retail and he has had some crazy staff members doing completely manic things and still cannot fire them. Human resourses have to much power in the work place for this to happen! Years back i was asked to leave a job because of a tongue ring... they gave me the opportunity to take it out and continue my employment but i didnt, this was a very small business so they got away with it. But in a larger one they just cant do it. all this girl has to do is contact human resourses and file a complaint against her manager their will be an investigation and it will be dealt with she cannot lose her job if she is pagan!
Sounds like cutting off the hand that is feeding them!! I know our Hop Topic in Virginny,is all the Goth kids that work there,who i adore. I'm the funky granny when i go there. WOW,I had no idea. i thought they were PAGAN friendly??
Pretty dumb, considering that Hot Topic gets a lot of business from Pagans. Anyway, I have bought items with pentagrams on them from Hot Topic in the past... either their policies changed, or this manager is just an ignorant person.
Manager I'd say.....
I would like to say the ACLU would help with this but they wont. HT doesn't accept state or federal money. I went through this with them in 2000-2001 at a previous employer. Yes it does sound like one manager. Seen more than a few Pagan necklaces and rings worn by employees of HT.

Money talks everybody. Call district management and ask whats up. If you can't get an answer or response from them, put a petition together of all the people who will boycott. Send it to the district manager, then to Corporate HQ. If there are enough signatures the policy or manager will change quickly, lol
I know..........I think its that manager of hers,not the store chain,really.....
well honey I am very sorry you are going through this. I have been to several hot topic stores over the years and have noticed the slow disapearence of pentacles. Thank you for telling me why. As for your boss you NEED TO DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!! Every conversation, evry rumor, every incident (including her trash talking customers), customer complaints( if you have to point it out to the customer.. such as.. eh hem "boss lady why would you say such a thing about our wonderful customers" really loud). You will only need enough documentation for 30 days to establish a pattern of hostility. As for religious persacution, if she and others can wear a cross openly you can wear a pentacle openly. if you wear it discreetly she should never say anything to you. try to call corporate on her. they will document things. ask to speak with someone in human resources. But please remember if you truly want anything done, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!! I wish you the best of luck. Chelle.

RSS

© 2017 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service