PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

By profession, I’m a business anthropologist. That means that I can help businesses understand important groups of people, like foreign labor forces, new market segments, and multiculturalism within the workplace. I can also help businesses understand what their logos mean to different people.

For example, consider this backlit ad panel, which I discovered during one of my midnight jogs around Florida’s Space Coast. Note the logo in the top left-hand corner. Although I’m not sure what the logo means to the orthopedic center it represents, it happens to closely resemble Paganism’s Goddess symbol. Indeed, Pagans so widely recognize this symbol, that users of paganspace.net even sign off with a text-based rendering: )o(

Remember that, although Pagans constitute a small market segment, this logo can still send a big message. After all, Jews constitute a small market segment, as well. Yet, just imagine the implications of using the Star of David as a business logo! Furthermore, the Space Coast has experienced lots of friction between its Christian and Pagan populations since the 90s.

So my questions for all of you include: how does it make you feel, to see this symbol in the context of a business advertisement? Do you feel like this orthopedic center understands the Pagan overtones of its logo? If you were in need of orthopedic care, would this ad encourage or dissuade you from visiting this center? Have you noticed similar Pagan imagery in any other ads? Of course, any other comments are welcome, too. Even short and stilly ones.

--- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to venture out of “armchair” scholarship and into action? One anthropologist tackles business, occultism and violence! He gets spooked and roughed up a lot.

Tags: advertising, anthropology, business, goddess, pagan, symbol

Views: 1562

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I find this absolutely fascinating Ash. I does peak my anthropological interest (though I am just a student). I wonder if its purposeful or that paganism is so ingrained in our culture. It is very interesting. 

Glad you like my work, Psyche! Don't get down on yourself for being a student. I'm a very recent graduate myself, but I've been conducting conference-worthy research for years!

--- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to venture out of “armchair” scholarship and into action? One anthropologist tackles business, occultism and violence! He gets spooked and roughed up a lot.

Sounds reasonable.
Those kinds of mixups happen all the time.
--- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to venture out of “armchair” scholarship and into action? One anthropologist tackles business, occultism and violence! He gets spooked and roughed up a lot.

Personally the use of Pagan symbols doesn't bother me in the least. Whether it be in a video game (Skyrim is chock-full of Pagan symbols and imagery,) or the real world, I feel that if our symbols are there then we're surviving.

As an anthropologist, I get tickled every time I hear the word "survival." Darwinian paradigm, and all. (Laughs Out Loud) Cool comment, Satyr. Thanks.

--- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to venture out of “armchair” scholarship and into action? One anthropologist tackles business, occultism and violence! He gets spooked and roughed up a lot.
there are many Roman Pagan symbols and themes in the music industry, and in Government buildings, also in the Vatican. It's part of a Society that has been secret for a long time. :P
one of the most obvious Roman Pagan theme in the music industry is Madonna's performance at the halftime show at the superbowl, the Roman Paganism costumes and the stage had nothing to do with the song at all, but since Madonna was dressed like Cleopatra I think they're psychologically conditioning us to worship these Singers as our Idols.
I think we already DO worship these singers as our idols, and the music industry is just having a good 'ole time with that. (Laughs Out Loud)

Glad you're entertained, Sat.

Warms my heart to know. No joke.

Also, my girlfriend wants to be an optometrist.

I'll be sure to pass on your comment. lol.

The eye of Horus is on the back of the american dollar, and it is also the all seeing eye of Lucifer. they both pretty much mean the same thing though. then you have the Pyramid which is symbolic, it means the Few at the top controlling the many at the Bottom... then there is the spider webs going all around the dollar in the background
I said in a pervious dsicussion that Lucifer is a Roman Pagan God, and if the Eye of Lucifer is on the American dollar then much of American Society is being controlled by Roman Pagans...
I think it's Interesting because the Romans used the Colloseum to give the masses entertainment, and as long as they had entertainment they would let the Roman Emperor do anything he wanted, and now we have the same thing with our mass media and mass entertainment

RSS

© 2014 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service