PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

All Beliefs are Welcome Here!

I don't exactly "worship" any deities, but rather see them as friends and guides and sometimes warnings of what to come. There is many resources I could find about just about any Norse deity in terms of worshipping them and what they do and do not like.

But one in particular I have a hard time finding out much besides what she rules over is Hel. I have this enormous pull towards her but I don't exactly know really how to connect with her. I never once truly saw Hel as this evil figure some people may swear over, rather a kind and helping woman not really driven by taking over the universe and hatred.

So, what I'm asking is does anyone know or have heard of any rituals for her as well as what kinds of things I should avoid doing in order to invoke her and to build on this pull that I have with her. I would love to have an great relationship with Hel, I'm just new to my path and magics.

Views: 486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If Hel Was Wednesday Addams :

Bitch switch

Those who die a “straw death”---that is, a death in their own beds, are said to be the “inglorious dead”. But Hel knows that the glory of war is meaningless, and the afterlife of the heroes described in the old Sagas, an existence dedicated to perpetual fighting, seems especially futile to her. It was not the women and the children who wrote the Sagas. The poetry of war gives a voice to an ethic that we would find offensive today---and extremely dangerous in a world in which the weaponry of war has advanced to an almost unimaginable degree, but the moral nature of humanity has not advanced.

In your mind ally yourself with simple earth values. Those who live close to the earth by farming or gardening understand death as a part of life. We should call life “life/death” to get the right feeling. Life/death repeats itself endlessly. Plants, animals, and human beings die on the earth’s surface, but Hel has planted apple orchards beneath the earth. She has provided attractive homes for those who died honorably but “ingloriously”. She believes in peace, and rules a peaceful underworld. The one best way to please her is to pray and work for world peace.

Hel knows that reincarnation is the rule. She is the opposite---I should say the obverse side, like the obverse side of a coin---of Erda, the earth goddess, and the earth as goddess. Hel is Erda, and Erda is Hel. We can see this in her face. Place before you, lined up from left to right, flowers, fruit, and dead twigs and leaves of a single plant, whatever is available at any time of year. Now pick up the dead plant material from the right side and put it to the left of the flowers, to show that it precedes the flowers. The flowers depend upon the dying plants to create and continually renew the soil. The dead will return to life after a lifetime in Hel’s world.

Hel is the destination and the caretaker of the simple people and their simple, humane wisdom. Remember, they did not write the histories. In countless history books war is the principle topic, but these books were almost always written by men---men with violent imaginations. Hel believes that her people are much, much happier than violent people.

The two-fold Erda/Hel is repeated in Greece in the two-fold Demeter/Persephone. After all, she is the same for all nations. Could you imagine otherwise?

That is a very Vanir - ian approach to viewing Hel ,

rather than Aesir - ian , Marion , and sounds more

like UPG ( for those who do not know "Unverified

Personal Gnosis" ) , than something documented ;

Now , I am not giving preference either way , yet

I am asking : "How are you backing up those claims

to know Hel , and her preferences , and perception " ?

The Aesir - ian view was not earth oriented , yet sky ;

The Vanir - ian view which came before , was earth oriented ;

This is no different than other world stories , where the focus

went from the "shaggy , hairy ones" that were more earth power

and magical oriented , to ones more " civilized " , and celestial

oriented power , disconnected from the earth ;

Are you seeing Hel through the lens of one of the Titans , or

the Giants from Old Ways ?

If you note my name , I have my link to Fenris , so I am

more connected to the Old Ways , but that did not mean

always peaceful...just more magical thought , rather than

rational , science based perception...

The idea of a "peaceful , idyllic world " , is an illusion , though

most definitely a lovely thought , until one realizes that is not

the way the earth or universe truly is...;)

Perception , determines reality , up to a point where personal space ends...

And the female is not just "peaceful"...please do not propagate

that falsehood , as it denies women their destructive power , as

well as they have their creative...;)

A link between the Earth/Fertility goddess (Erda) and the Death goddess (Hel) would not surprise me as that goes all the way back to Sumeria. Inanna whose associations included fertility was shadowed by her sister Ereshkigal. They were two sides of the same coin. There is also the issue of Persephone being married to Hades where fertility is married to the underworld. There is a reciprocal closeness between giving birth and receiving the bodies and spirits of the dead, and there is a linkage to the return of spirits through rebirth. It's the Life-Death-Life formula of grounded femininity. It's a very old and power structure that surfaces in many forms.

I do a visual meditation where I walk through a clearing or forest then cleanse myself in water. When I emerge on the otherside I am through the vale and in a between space. This is where communing with my deity has been the strongest. I feel a connection with the fates and the crone goddess. Its not something I have found a lot of literature on either so this method of communication has helped me a large amount. The omages aren't always easy to interpret but its worth it

I noticed that Hel's name means "hidden" which parallels Hades with his helmet of invisibility, and its likely his name means "the hidden one" as well. All the keepers of the dead go unseen.

When seeking information about Hel, it's important to note that the first place you should look is in the lore of Norse and Germanic peoples.  The Eddas, both the prose and the poetic, are a good place to start, and the Heimskringla.  The thing is, Hel is not much discussed in the lore, or anywhere else for that matter, but she is the only one of Loki's children who are not looked down upon.  She was given her own hall by Odin himself, to oversee the dead, those who did not die in battle, and that hall is actually thought to be a fairly nice place to be when you die.  While Hel oversees the dead in all the 9 worlds, hers is not the only hall that the dead go to.  In order to understand Hel, you should attempt to understand the interactions of all the Gods of the Norse/Germanic Pantheons, and their interactions with humanity/Midgard.  Good luck on your journey towards knowledge. 

I could discern the "pull" toward Hel, especially if you are of Scandinavian or Germanic descent.

She is the very first deity to come through to me and I found her to be very intense at first but very warm too. She will take care of you if you are honest with her. She also cuts through the BS and tells you exactly what is what. Just be honest, and be ready for honesty from her. Call to her, talk to her, honor her. She likes dark chocolate and wine too so a sacrifice never hurts either ;)

Dark chocolate and wine sounds just fine.

Of course, She prefers a bleeding man in her glass.

The Road to Hel: A Study Of The Conception Of The Dead In Old Norse Literature Paperback – 21 Mar 2013

RSS

© 2018 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service