PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

All Beliefs are Welcome Here!

All through my studies i have always thought Dr. Szasz was completely wrong in say that there is no such thing as mental illness, that it is just a label put on people that are different from ourselves.  But, studying developmental psychology i am beginning to wonder if there could be some truth to it.

The background: psychologists are finding that the brain is not fully developed by the age of 21 (on the average for most).  And most mental illnesses are not showing until the age of 22 (again thats the average, illnesses like schizophrenia, bi-polar, borderline personality disorder and so on).

The Theory: Knowing that the brain is not fully developed until the age of 21 could it be that what a mental illness is is just different brain development, or abnormal brain development?

If this theory is tested and proved this would show that Dr. Thomas Szasz was accurate in his assumption that mental illness is just merely a label, and that there is really no such thing, it would really be just different brain development.

What say the court? ideas and opinions? Im trying to contact Dr. Szasz himself to find if he has conducted research about this and his theory.

Views: 1350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok. but that didnt address anything about my theory. only that you think mental illness is real. With my theory it wouldnt be mental illness, it would be abnormal brain development, or something along that line.

What causes Autism?

Autism is caused by a genetic problem. It is an extra chromosome.

according to this article that is not the whole cause of autism.

http://autism.about.com/od/whatisautism/p/autismcauses.htm

from what reading I have done it is extremely complex

we dont know what causes autism.  but what it is is a genetic problem.  Why this genetic situation occurs, is speculation.

aren't bipolar disorder and schozophrenia caused by genetics (ie it is passed from parent to child)? But they require a trigger event?

They are finding that genetics could play a role in the development of mental illness. Passed from parent to child and so on.  I have not ever heard of a mental illness requiring a trigger event.  If someone has it they have it.  A trigger event suggests that nurture is involved with forming mental illness, and that is more geared to your thread ;)

aren't bipolar disorder and schozophrenia caused by genetics (ie it is passed from parent to child)? But they require a trigger event?

Not on a Normal basis Ms Pouncer, There have been some studies that showed men could pass their active schizophrenia and Psychotic episodes on to their male children. Starrfire even mention this around the 1st to to 3 pages of this thread.

Blessings,

~Tea~

Reply by Anthony yesterday you havent posted anything either in case you forgot.  And i never claimed to be a doctor? where did i ever state i was?  Ive stated that getting my PhD in psychology is my goal and im working towards it.

Anthony, how far into your Undergraduate PhD Degree are you into as of now? Also my daughter said you look like you are in your early 20's, So what is your Age? Please!!!

I am 22, I am a year out from my Bachelors, and going to apply for graduate school at UNLV, Iowa University, Oklahoma University and a few others. UNLV is my first choice.

I try and formulate new ideas and theories to get myself noticed as i pursue experimental psychology mostly in perception and cognition. If i had the resources (i dont quite yet) i would conduct my own experiments. The more noticed you are, the more people will be interested in you.

I am also thinking about trying for a degree in business as that is my minor.  But business is just so.....dry.

I have not ever heard of a mental illness requiring a trigger event. Then you have not researched nearly enough at all. You need to do a lot more research because PTSD is considered a mental illness and it specifically requires some kind of trauma to begin. Also, sociopaths do not have genetic links to their illness and instead it is thought to be caused by their upbringing. we dont know what causes autism. but what it is is a genetic problem. Why this genetic situation occurs, is speculation. Genetics is not the only cause of autism. I would suggest you do a WHOLE lot more reading on these topics. If you knew what you were talking about you would know that there are many autistic and no, research does not prove genetics to be the sum total cause in it. For the most part it is still a mystery and had you read anything on the site I posted from the Australia Autism website you would know this.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service