They support paganism, among other religions, and believe that each person has a spiritual path of their own.  That each person is entitled to pursue their own path, irrespective of others beliefs and ideals.

If you have not joined your local UU church, you should, to support the only group which has managed to bring together all people of the pagan and occult worlds into one fellowship.

Just a thought.

Firewae

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Each congregation is very different, but in my opinion, you aren't completely off-the-mark.  The community can be great or not and it's hit and miss with the spirituality of it.  One fellowship I went to, however, I got the sense of a strong silent bond between members and I believe that there was something spiritual there that was given expression in the respect we gave each other.  Our minister was exceptional, though, I think, and his sermons were always insightful.

While as a pagan, the rituals and the community weren't really "enough" for me, I don't think that means that there wasn't something spiritually powerful at at least most of the UUs I went to for the regular members and there is some danger in assuming that just because the way that church felt to YOU meant that it wasn't spiritual for most of the other people who went there.

For perspective: I went to an open pagan ritual once that I felt NOTHING at... NOTHING.  But the guy standing RIGHT NEXT TO ME was all aglow... I could SEE the awe in his face and sparkle in his eyes afterwards... he really felt something powerful when all I felt was annoyed.

Everyone has a different sense of what is spiritual, so I don't doubt that for regular UUs, their services and belief system can be quit powerful sometimes.  Just because you didn't find God at UU, doesn't mean other people cannot.  There really isn't much, if any, dogma but that doesn't mean UUs don't believe anything... UU churches are just collections of religious eclectics.  Sometimes they gel, sometimes they don't, sometimes one gets a lot and another doesn't, but yes, they are embracing of paganism in more than just a "tolerant" sort of way and I do believe that Neo-pagans should take advantage of this more often and support UUism in their communities when they there is an opportunity.  In fact, whenever there's an open circle in your community, see if you can post something up on the bullitan board at the local UU... and you can also attend a meeting and make an announcement about it after the service when they ask if anyone has community announcements.

I consider UUs to be the "f** hags" of paganism.  They're not quite us, but they sure know how to make us feel truly welcomed and accepted.

-Scarlet

Scarlet you say many things that ring true for me, what I aslo like is their acceptance of gays, lesbians and bis....My UU had for several years a pagan organization, but for whatever reasons fizzled out several years ago. I honestly don't know of any 'church' that memebers would chit chat at coffee with a cross dresser...Many of UUs may not as you say, 'be quite us', many actually are, but recognize that the UU church is not a platform during service that is just for 'us'....Blessings, Ianna:)
I had the opposite in Massachusetts (which is one of the original UU territories); the pastor of the Boston Church is an *amazing* and very, very spiritual lesbian named Kim Crawford Harvey (who I just plain adore); when I was a kid my mom took me to the big UU church in Bedford (her rebellion from the Catholic upbringing she had, but I still ended up going through the Catholic program as well) and THOSE were some spiritual people... but I think since the UU movement is so wide, there's bound to be serious case-by-case differences in what you find from parish to parish.
I've had a similar experience as the posters below .. while looking for Paganfolk in Virginia, I though I would attend a UU Church ritual.. it left me spiritually dry so I did not attend any more services.. I then decided to give one more try but this to to the Universal Life Ministry which is online.. Ok I have that cert..I am ordained according to them.. but it was too easy.. well if they are willing to do that sight unseen I decided to see if they would issue a cert. of ordination to my dog... allow me to introduce the Reverend Starvin Marvin..  Guess I have my answer...

Glad it works for you ... after speaking with a few ministers at the UU church I was not impressed  with them..

The Univeralist church and the Unitarian church officially merged in 1965. The Universal Life Ministry is the different entity, I was ordained through that institution years ago. Ianna:)
luckily, there's a unitarian universalist church up here in flint, michigan that's real nice and friendly. Understanding too. The pastor is real cool and was a former nun that now became a pagan and welcomed me into the church when i first joined there recently. I felt really at peace and welcomed and a lot of folks were really friendly too.
Greetings Firewae! While I understood Rob's opinion, I greatly value the UU philosophy! I suppose it depends on how one defines the term God. If one is seeking great comradery with people of like mind, appreciate the social/activist opportunities they have to offer, recognize the value they place on nature, and want to connect with so many pagans from different paths,then I suggest a UU church.  I have been atttending one for over a year now and I could not be happier. I just finished a 5 week Goddess based workshop held at the church. I have a hard time attaching the term 'church' to this institution. There is little dogma in UU, many are even athiests, not just pagans, Budhists, ect.,. But, in any event, it's a wonderful environment for me, and yes, if one sees the divine in all things, then one does not worry about finding God there. Divine energy for many is found everywhere. For me, that is spirituality. Blessings, Ianna:)
I went to a UU church for a little while when I first became Pagan, mostly because I was looking to meet other Pagans. Overall I like the concept of it but it just came off to me as spiritually dry for my tastes and I don't dig their political leanings.

Don't get me wrong I found them to be a very nice and good-hearted group of people, but it just wasn't my thing.

The UU fellowship's don't keep spirituality to dole out to each passerby.  Spirituality is an echo of your own path, and there is in a UU exactly as much as you bring with you.  Each person's path in a UU is their own, different or the same as others, but distinctly personal for each individual.

Rob, I respect that you were looking for something and didn't find it; Nor a guide to help you find more of the "it", spirituality your way.  As you say, and I don't mean this disparagingly, there was as much spirituality for you there as you brought with you.

Greetings Ianna. :)  And to the others, whom found room to breathe, people to experience, and a community that was willing to ask what you could be and what you could bring.  What an awesome experience that is to receive encouragement in your own personal growth.

Firewae

Something to try... the next time you attend a UU Fellowship, raise a ward (a circle) around the grounds.  Push power into the ward and intent a positive flow.  Be the reason that someone else' eyes light up in wonder.

Firewae

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service