PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

I personally find being called a witch insulting, as it sticks too much with the hard times of inquisition and the such. Ifsomeone calls me a witch, they express that I am to then an evil person that needs to be gotten rid of. Do you feel the ame way or do you think the word has distanced itself from its past?

Tags: Witch, insult

Views: 407

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Being the first in a long line of my family to come out of the "broom Closet" as it were. And living where I do. I can understand the fear that some would have refering to themselves as a witch. But to me, I'm an in you face kind of person anyway. So any that know me, know what Im about. Those who dont I tell them damn right I am and offer to have (sometimes very heated) conversations. 9 times out of ten. They get to know the real me and no longer see me or any of my friends of similar walks as evil or a threat. Hell, a few are looking seriously at the paths they have chosen and for the first time really thinking on it and not just going from what is told. To that end, I boldly and proudly say I am A WITCH. Oh and for that 1 that doesnt except me. "dont let the door knob hit you where the Goddess Split you...
Just my 2 cents worth..
Love and light to all
Rowan
Copied from http://www.pinellasintergroupsociety.org/IAMAWITCH.shtml

"I AM A WITCH"

When I stand up for myself and my beliefs, they call me a "Witch".
When I stand up for those I love, they call me a Witch.
When I speak my mind, think my own thoughts, or do things my own way, they call me a Witch.

Being a witch entails raising my children to be strong people Who have a solid sense of personal and social responsibility Who are not afraid to stand up for what they believe in Who love and respect themselves for the beautiful beings they are.

Being a witch means that I am free to be the wonderful creature I am, With all my own intricacies, contradictions, quirks and beauty.

Being a witch means I won't compromise what's in my heart.

It means I live my life MY way. It means I won't allow anyone to step on me. When I refuse to tolerate injustice and speak up against it, I am defined as a witch.

The same thing happens when I take time for myself instead of being everyone else's maid or when I act a little selfish.

I am proud to be a witch! It means I have the courage and strength to allow myself to be who I truly am and won't become anyone else's idea of what they think I "should" be.

I am outspoken, opinionated and determined.

By Goddess, I want what I want and there is nothing wrong with that! So, try to stomp on me, try to douse my inner flame, try to squash every ounce of beauty I hold within me. You won't succeed. And if that makes me a witch, so be it. I embrace the title and am proud to bear it. I love this, I can call myself a witch now and not feel bad about it!

SO MOTE IT BE
SO MOTE IT BE!!!!!
Love & Light,
Rowan
NO I do not! Im proud to ware this name . A woman who professes or is and does practice Magick . a sorcercess, to effect by or as by witchcraft ,bewitch , charm , so yes I guess these are all of me lol. BB
Witch has been used as an insult far beyond the Mideval times.
I, myself, leave the past in the past and reclaim the term Witch as a word of power, faith, and practice. I LIKE the word Witch. The only time I find the word insulting, is when someone uses it as an alternative for the word B*tch. I'm not a practitioner of Wicca (though I have studied it in the past), so I don't call myself Wiccan. I'm also not one who feels the need to label myself as "Solitary-Eclectic-Pagan-Occultist-Deist-Witch-etc-etc-etc...", as I don't like these long-winded titles/labels. I prefer more simple terms. Witch is PERFECT for me.
I think I'm in the same boat as you. Witch applies to me, but it is not necessarily the whole truth.
lol. Me to Char, me to!
The word Witch to me is a compliment and not an insult at all. If someone calls me a Witch- I would say to them- why yes I am thank you! :)
The word Witch, to me, refers to a specific magical path. I also think it's empowering.

Maybe you feel differently because you live in Europe and have all those many years of the historical meaning which was derogatory. Maybe that makes it harder for people in general to use it in a positive way?
No, I am a witch....what are you?
I am amused by the use of the word when one does not actually know what it means. Being called a witch does not bother me. I am a witch. But then, witch is not gender specific and means "wise one" roughly. So perhaps accepting that some people are ignorant, and correcting them is the proper way to approach the situation.

I've also learned that someone people insist on being ignorant, which only reveals their stupidity... in which case they aren't worth the effort.

May your roots drink deep and the sun kiss your brows with warmth and understanding.

RSS

© 2014 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service