PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

For a number of years I was the high priestess of a coven, but when I got sick, I had to step down from my position. Now that I am better, I find I simply do not have the physical ability to perform rituals like I use to (no kneeling, spiral dancing has gone the way of the Dodo, etc). I have been wondering how others have modified the rituals they participate in to suit their needs. So, these are the questions I have been thinking about - do you find yourself modifying your own rituals around your disability? Is there a particular way that you perform rituals that compensates for your disability or do you simply edit out the parts that you, yourself cannot do? Have you attended and participated in public rituals? Looking forward to hearing from you!

Peace!
~ Maia ~

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

The answer to this is yes.

Modify the rituals, but consider also modifying for other disAbilities now that you are aware that there are problems with the standard format.

It is possible to cast the circle with voice and mind, even in public rituals, although it is more dramatic to have somebody act it out (wildly even). The act out position often goes to the young or verbally shy.

Lighting candles means putting candles well anchored at a place where they can be easily reached. That helps the clumsy as well.

Become the center of the spiral dance and chant the dance song to keep it moving.

Those are possibilities for public rituals. In private, it is possible, even powerful to do the whole ritual in your own mind, or mind and voice. It is possible to do the rituals flat on your back without being able to move. You just need to prepare for it in your mind. That is more difficult than it sounds, but when done correctly it is extremely strong ritual.

What is the purpose of each part of the ritual. Waving a broom around is fine drama, but WHY is it done? Same with candles and dance and each part of the ritual.

I edit out parts that I can't do, but I only eliminate them when I have a reasonable piece to put in that slot. Otherwise my rituals would sometimes consist of somebody reading a few parts out of a book, not bad, and not useless, but not anywhere near as powerful as a thoroughly thought out ritual.

I may be wrong.

Your milage may vary.

Blessings Bright & Dark,
Cindy / Cerridwyn
Yes I do rituals and go to public rituals at our ritual grounds at Summerland in Florida. I can't get on the ground or spiral dance, but you can work around it I sit as the edge of the circle and clap with others who can't spiral dance anymore. If you need to ground you can have someone pick up some earth for you to hold and ground with. . I walk with a walker and I take my own chair to rituals. I stand when I can and sit when I have to. If I need help I ask for it. People are always happy to help you out, but you have to open your mouth and tell them. The Gods understand.
My Native American circle has a couple of people in it who are in wheel chairs. They have made a sweet lodge that is wheelchair accessible. As disabled people we have to our own advocates.
Blessing of the various Gods.
Rituals are made for the worshippers and if our bodies dinnae hae the ability to do them then they can and MUST be adapted. Note that all persons hae disabilities, but if ye let the disabilities stop ye it becomes a Handicap, I am disabled but handicapable!

RSS

© 2017 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service