The Social Network for the Occult Community

Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism have differing ideas about how karma works and its effect on one's existence in subsequent lives.
Hindus believe the soul is trapped in a circle of birth and rebirth called samsara. Until a person quells all desires and accepts that the individual soul is the same as the absolute soul, he or she must suffer in samsara and forgo moksha -- the goal of salvation. But because moksha is an ultimate goal, and one that can be achieved only after it is no longer desired, most Hindus attempt to generate good karma so that they can be born into a better life.
For Hindus, good karma is usually produced by correctly performing the duties of one's caste, or social class. If a person lives admirably and fulfills the responsibilities of the caste, the soul can be reborn into a higher caste. Hindus also believe that because karma is its own law, it requires no divine interference.
Sikhism also teaches karmic law and reincarnation. For Sikhs, karma affects the quality of life and of future lives.
Jainism teaches that karma is an atomic substance -- an actual particulate that attaches itself to the soul. Jain followers believe that as long as a soul is burdened by karma it remains trapped in a cycle of birth and rebirth. Because negative qualities of the soul (like anger, greed or pride) make karma more inclined to stick, Jain believers try to minimize passions, live soberly and inflict harm on no living thing, except in self-defense.
New Age ethical philosophy that good engenders good and vice versa much like the ethical philosophies of Abrahamic belief structures.
Theosophical Society which was developed in 1875 in New York had a lot to do with New Age philosophy of Karma. It's a view of karma that is only loosely connected to the structure of Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh or Jain philosophies.
Instant Karma hit the western world in the late 60's and early 70's.
The Western idea of karma is best epressed in popular phrases like, what goes around comes around and what you sow, you will reap. Which is very much like the law of attraction and cause and effect philosophies present today.
For a better understanding of Karma I suggest the book: Everyday Karma by Carmen Harra, Ph.D.
So what are your idea's of Karma and how does it affect your practices?

Views: 185

Replies to This Discussion

I know not all agree with tubes,but most of the info can be very helpful-take what you need out of it:)

I thought this explained quite a lot:)

action vs reaction defines karma

I like that ideology. With that it seems many religions and spiritualties have a similar thing such as karma.
The first to come to mind that others would understand is the Christian idea of "do onto others as you will have them do onto you. " and also " Turn the other cheek". Which in my understanding is exactly action vs reaction type of ideology.

love it:)

© 2018       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service