PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community

All Beliefs are Welcome Here!

Borax is it safe?

YES

There's a lot of conflicting information, mostly because Borax is confused with Boric Acid.  Borax is safe for your skin and won't cause irritation, provided you don't have any preexisting conditions like a rash, cuts or abrasions.

Can you add Borax to any soap recipe?

YES

Measurements vary.  I usually add a Tablespoon to my soap before I achieve Trace.  Borax doesn't absorb into the skin, so there's little to no risk of toxicity.  It also will not strip your body's natural oils.  Complaints when using it in shampoos is for those people that have a oily scalp and oily hair.  It helps for those people that suffer from dry itchy scalp and can be used as a dandruff treating shampoo.

What does Borax do to your soap?

Superfat it

What else can I use Borax For?

Here's a few ideas!

Basic Borax Soap Recipe:

• 4 c. coconut oil
  • 2 c. clean rendered tallow (animal fats)
  • 2 c. cold soft water (rain water or distilled)
  • 1/2 c. lye (NaOH)
  • 1/3 c. borax
  • 1/2 c. boiling water

If you want a vegetarian soap, substitute Olive Oil (or a mixture of oils) for Animal Tallow.  I'd go 4 cups of Oil instead of the (2) recommended.

It's a pretty plain soap, no bells or whistles.  Though, I can say that people with ruddy skin, or a lot of discoloration from sun-tanning experience a 'glow', in that it fades out these marks on the skin.  It's not going to produce miracles but over time, you'll get a more even skin tone.

There is a slight change up in recipe if you want to make a laundry-soap bar.  You can do a search for recipes.  I just add a half-cup to my whites if I use it for laundry.  Straight out of the box.

Melt your oils on medium low heat, don't exceed 110*.   While heating the oils, mix your boiling water and borax together and mix well.  Set aside.  Mix your lye/soft water Set aside.

Once your oils are heated up, I mix in the Lye Solution first and stir.  After about 5-10 minutes, add the Borax.  Once that's mixed well, remove from the heat.  Keep stirring.

You can use an electric hand mixer to achieve trace in a shorter time.  Pour into molds.  Cover.  Cure 4-6 weeks. 

Views: 147

Replies to This Discussion

Here is an image of a batch of layered soap I added borax to.  The top layer (the red colored layer) has the borax in it, as you can see, it has a thicker texture as it was superfatted with the Borax.  I added about 1/4 cup to this batch (large batch).

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service