For NaNoWriMo this year, I did a story I've been waiting over 40 years to write.  It's Tevis Dunbar:Starship Captain.  It's about a woman who is going over her life's memories, preparatory to feeding them into the ship's computer as she dies from a disease long thought to be eradicated.  It takes place in interstellar space, somewhere in the Human part of the Milky Way Galaxy.  She travels from planet to planet, at times embroiled in romantic interludes.  There is a war, and a revolution.  It  definitely is space opera.  

I finished the 1st draft in 28 days instead of 30.  I'm going to let it sit for a month, then do some heavy duty revision in January of next year (2017), then when I get it to where I want it, maybe 3 or 4 revisions later, I'll submit it to my published, perhaps even with a new title.

Have you ever written a space opera?  If so, what was it about?  If not, do you think that you ever will write a space opera?

Views: 50

Replies to This Discussion

Oh wow! That sounds amazing! 

I have been working on what I call an "epic deep space buddy comedy" about a girl and her aunt who end up alone on a ship... The girl's cryogenic pod malfunctions so she ends up aging from 16 to 40 when she wakes up. The aunt doesn't make it so she transfers a copy of herself into a small floating device with holographic projection capabilities. I had planned on making it into a novel series but there are a lot of "sight gags" so it's become a comic book series with no artist.  

Since it is deep space and uncharted territory the character pool is limited and the focus is on comedy and teaching altruism. I started working on this when my (badass) Great Aunt Lu told us all she was sick. She left us in 2014. I'd like to be able to present a finished set of comics to my mother before she goes...

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service