Sri Yukteswar Giri, the guru of Paramahansa Yogananda, wrote a book called The Holy Science in 1894 in which he compared the Great Cycle of the ages of the zodiac to the cycle of the Yugas or world ages in Hinduism, and tells us that they are the same. The Great Cycle, also called the Great Polar Cycle because of the changing alignment of the North Pole as the earth slowly “wobbles”, lasts for 26,000 years. Each of the 12 zodiacal ages that make up this cycle, for example the Age of Pisces or the Age of Aquarius, lasts 2,160 years. Sri Yukteswar said that the Age of Pisces coincides with the Kali Yuga. Many people assume that the Age of Pisces began when Yeshua (Jesus) was born, but it actually began in 360 CE according to the astrologer Robert Ohotto. I have also heard the date 220 CE. I am not sure why there should be any confusion about the dates unless there is a dispute about where in the sky we should draw the lines that separate the visible constellations. It was just as well that Yeshua was born several hundred years before the planet’s “darkest hour”, when the Kali Yuga began. That would give his teaching or “Way” an opportunity to consolidate and prepare itself as a church for its greatest test.
Let me list a few important events that occurred in the Roman world just before the new age began, at the approximate “zero point”, and just after the age began.
- In about 150 CE Claudius Ptolemy wrote the Almagest or Sytaxis Mathematica which is the origin of today’s tropical astrology, which differs from sidereal astrology because it does not take account of the precession of the equinox when it assigns dates to the signs of the zodiac. This was possible because in his day the vernal point on the equinox almost exactly coincided with the point 0 degrees of Aries in the constellations along the celestial equator.
- In 270 CE Lucius Domitius Aurelianus, whom we call Aurelian, became emperor and instituted the cult of Sol Invictus, the Unconquered Sun, which was monolatrous rather than polytheistic. When Jesus was identified with Sol or Helios in the minds of many Greek and Roman converts, what began as the Way of Yeshua took a significant step toward becoming an imperial religion, the religion of Jesus Christ. The birthday of Sol was Dec. 25; that day eventually became the birthday of Jesus.
- In 303 CE the “10th Persecution” of the Christians began under the emperor Diocletian, ending in 313 CE when Constantine issued the Edict of Milan, granting toleration to the Christians. This was the most severe of all of the persecutions, which may explain why the bishops that Constantine would soon call to Nicea were so grateful to him, and so docile and cooperative.
- In 325 CE the Council of Nicea proclaimed that Jesus was the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, co-equal and co-eternal with the Father and the Holy Spirit---and as Logos, the creator of the world. Constantine became the true ruler of the church that he created at Nicea.
- In 415 CE Hypatia of Alexandria was killed by a group of Christians called the Parabalani. They took advantage of the pro-Christian policies of Theodosius I which resulted in the destruction of the last remnant of the Library of Alexandria, the Serapeum, along with many temples throughout the Mediterranean world. When Hypatia died, much of classical civilization died with her.
- In 431 CE the emperor Theodosius II convened the Council of Ephesus at which Maria was given the title “Theotokos” or Mater Dei (Mother of God) in order to affirm the oneness of the human and divine natures of Jesus. A group of Spiritual Masters of extraterrestrial origin demanded that Mariam of Nazareth accept this new title and along with it, the doctrine of the virginal conception of Christ. When she refused she was expelled from the Brotherhood of Masters. Yeshua left with her. The Adept who had been the goddess Cybele became Maria Virginem, the Virgin Mary, and her “son” and priest Attis became the new Christ.
When we depart from the truth, truth will depart from us. Then we will forget who we are. At least one person must not depart from truth. Two persons did not depart from truth---Mariam and Yeshua. The Virgin Mary and the Imperial Christ who replaced them had no truth in them.
Below: The Imperial cult of the Unconquered Sun spread to the Middle East, perhaps through the agency of the emperor Elagabalus or Heliogabalus and his grandmother Julia Maesa, whose family came from Syria. These three statues stood in the temple of Baal Shamin in Palmyra, Syria. On the left is Aglibol, the god of the moon, in the center is Baal Shamin, the Lord of Heaven, and on the right is Malekbel, who is Sol Invictus, the god of the sun. I was shocked to learn that this beautiful, well-preserved temple in the Grecian style was destroyed by ISIL in August of 2015. UNESCO called the destruction of the temple "a new war crime". Notice that I did not call the terrorist group "ISIS" which is the sacred name of the goddess.